Friday, October 31, 2014

It's amazing how little time severe, chronic pain takes to send me into a spiral of fear, depression, and anger.  (About three days, in case you were wondering.)  I won't bore you with an encore recitation of why and how, but there's some serious conditioned response going on here.

Tomorrow I see the midwives (again).  I predict they will a) test me for pre-eclampsia, which will be negative; b) express puzzlement about Weird Headache Shit; and c) suggest a Neti Pot.  At which point I may start throwing things and screaming.  On the bright side, I took half a long-expired vi.codin and did not break out in hives all over!  (I'm also not sure it helped.)

You may also recall that the main reason I didn't want to ever be pregnant again was the two years of illness, pain, and chronic headache.   I seriously can't do this for nine more weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Oh no, I know from close second hand how chronic pain stuff goes.

    Here is a different type of suggestion for you, have you ever tried mindfulness practice. Sounds a bit hokey but is backed up by actual science for dealing with chronic pain among other things.
    To get a quick start - this book http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005NJ2T1G?pc_redir=1414662229&robot_redir=1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or the headspace app on iphone.

    Fwiw this catastrophic spiral is common in chronic pain. Little comfort I'm sure but it's not just you

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated, so it may take a day or two to show up. Anonymous comments will be deleted.