Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Now I Feel Really Smart

My degree, I am officially informed, was officially conferred yesterday. Or something. Thesifying: the process by which six years of work becomes completely meaningless to you.

But that's not why I feel smart. That would be because Squeaky is going through the Screamy For No Reason phase. Tonight: happy baby until about 10. Then screaming. Not hungry. Not dirty. Still not hungry. Does not want: finger to suck on, to be rocked, to be sung to, to be put down, to be held. Still screaming.

Finally, I swaddled him tightly, turned him upside down, and rocked him. Exactly one minute later he stopped screaming. I offered milk. Suck suck suck... asleep.

In my defense, the last time I tried that trick, he screamed his little head off for about 15 minutes, at which point I surrendered and poured myself some bourbon.