Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Depression Pandemic Baking: Scones (gluten free, dairy free)

 Today I looked at a job ad and immediately fell into a deep depression. Nobody will ever hire me! I am DOOMED if we stay here, doomed!!

Then I made some scones and ate too many. I have regrets and I'm still depressed, but they are extremely tasty.

If you eat wheat and dairy I recommend the original recipe.

 

Depression Scones

Makes 12?

1 c fine cornmeal
1 c rice flour
1/2 c coconut flour
1stick margarine (I like the country crock pretentious " plant butter" one)
1/2 c canola oil
1 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
1/2 c sugar (I like turbinado)
1/2 c diced candied ginger, if you want, or something else flavorful
Zest of one lemon
Juice of one lemon
About a cup canned coconut milk
Canned sweet cherries or something fruity
1/2 t salt
1 egg

Combine the dry ingredients, cut in the margarine, and add the oil. Dump in everything else but the fruit and mix well. Chop some canned cherries and stir in, in a disheartened manner. Plop in large blobs onto a cookie sheet, then realize you should have used two. Bake at 325 or 350 for about 25 minutes, until the edges are brown and crispy. Enjoy, but you'll still be depressed afterwards.

2 comments:

Comments are moderated, so it may take a day or two to show up. Anonymous comments will be deleted.