Friday, July 13, 2012

Doctoring


I recently had an allergist appointment; I keep eating things* and feeling unprecedentedly awful. (I rejoice in this, a.k.a. "You're Screwed".)  Here, I'll summarize:   USELESS, now with more epi-pen. 

They re-tested for pollen allergies.  Results: what I told them the results were from last time.  The allergy fellow was sympathetic.  The attending delivered himself of a lecture, the contents of which I already knew. They told me to avoid foods that make me feel unwell.  Then they gave me a chart just like Wikipedia's.

I conveyed quite clearly to them  that I wanted to know what I shouldn't eat before the full-body itching, coughing, and shortness of breath. The allergist claimed that skin-prick testing is inaccurate for OAS.  This is true: commercial antigens are useless.  Fresh sources, however, are pretty good, according to at least a few studies. 

Aaaaannnndddd... now I'm seriously considering doing skin-prick tests on myself, with fresh foods.  Where can I get a little histamine, now? 


* Things I can't eat ever: Dairy products, pecans (!!!), walnuts
Things I can't eat fresh: Celery, parsley, mangoes

Things that are maybe not okay in large quantities: Strawberries, bananas

Things that are probably not okay: Hazelnuts, various spices, cantaloupe, canola oil, raspberries
Percentage of this entire list that I really, really like: 100% 
Mournfulness at loss of pecan pie: 110%.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated, so it may take a day or two to show up. Anonymous comments will be deleted.