Friday, March 30, 2012

FMB: Marriage and Compromise

I need to remind myself sometimes that, although I am the primary caregiver for our children, that doesn't mean I get to be right all the time.  This is a hard thing to negotiate, though, because if Dr. S simply doesn't like something I'm doing (FOR EXAMPLE!) but I already tried his way and it didn't work... I'm the one who has to live with it ten hours a day.

To be fair, he probably spends 30 hours a week being the primary entertainer for Bug, and I probably spend more like 50 (not counting naps).  So it's not like he's not doing it at all. 

HOWEVER.  The next time he goes all "Woe is me, I must watch two children while you do something else," I might snap.

4 comments:

  1. Why don't you get to be right all the time? I'm confused...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, SUPPOSEDLY that annoys my spouse. Some people.

      Delete
  2. I want my children to respect their father, and abide by his decisions... BUT, it sure is hard living with some of his pronouncements! "Child #1, that was naughty behavior! No TV for you today! Ok, off to work.". Gee, thanks sweetie...
    Also, my husband would DIE if he was the one staying home with our children. He realizes that, and generally does a good job acknowledging my contributions to our household. So I'll keep him :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:58 PM

    See, my husband is the primary caregiver. I work full-time, he's home with our daughter all day, everyday. Even when I'm home, he gets up with her at night and such so I can sleep and be functional at work.

    I do feel the compulsion to defer to him on lots of stuff, since he's the one that has to deal with it most of the time. There are few things I insist upon.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated, so it may take a day or two to show up. Anonymous comments will be deleted.