Tuesday, February 21, 2012

FMB: Unsaid

A few years ago I asked about Truly Horrible Things that, I suspected, had happened.   And yes, this someone had lived Truly Horrible and also Amazingly Awful Things.*  (This is someone with whom I have a close enough relationship for personal questions.  Also, the Truly Horrible stuff was a really long time ago and this person has a happy, fulfilling life.)

I was glad this unanswered question was no longer hanging over our relationship.  At the same time, knowing was much, much worse than imagining.  I almost wish I hadn't asked; I don't know if I should have. I don't know if it's easier for the other person- this was something nobody ever talks about.  I know their family shut the issue firmly in the woodshed, locked the door, and threw the key in the lake. 

[Irrelevant digression: every so often I make a neutral noise like "Oh?" and someone spills forth with some personal drama, pain, or strife, sometimes accompanied by "Well, if you must know", and I always think NO!  I do not MUST KNOW.]

*Of a magnitude to make me abandon my pacifist sentiments and, should I ever encounter the offender (unlikely in the extreme,  fortunately), shoot 'em dead. The offender should be in jail.  But won't be, more's the pity.  I believe the statute of limitations has expired.

2 comments:

  1. At least you know the person in question has a happy and fulfilling life, despite the horrible things of a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooof. I have no idea, but if I had to put money on it, I'd say he or she is glad you know. And as for the oversharers, I'm also betting that you are doing them a service by letting them overshare.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated, so it may take a day or two to show up. Anonymous comments will be deleted.