Friday, March 02, 2007

Friday Photo Library: The Magpie Spirit

Snow dayTo continue the week of no scientific substance, I present to you: sets of things I have photographed. Also, my newest useless project: walking around town trying to take pictures of every state's license plate. I know I saw an Alaska somewhere! I fear, however, that Hawaii is a lost cause.





***
I saw some more buildings. Revival styles fascinate me.
BuildingSmokestacks
And the physical plant at sundown. It was surprisingly attractive, for a physical plant.

BuildingBuilding

I took pictures of all my plants. Except I forgot the ficus that I nearly killed by taking it outdoors one February and then all the leaves fell off and it was a bunch of sticks in a pot and they scoffed at me! But it grew back!
LavenderTree
The lavender contines to grow, but it looks unhappy. The citrus trees need a larger pot. But first it needs to be spring, to avoid repeats of the Ficus Incident.

PothosViolet 1
The pothos is unkillable; I gave it a haircut and cut off 3/4 of its leaves recently. You can't tell.

Violet 2Purple flowers


I wandered about town taking pictures of people's license plates. I got a lot of funny looks. In the South, someone would have threatened me with a gun ('Hey, what y'all lookin' at? You ain't gonna touch my truck, is you now?).

FSCN0186 DSCN0223 DSCN0217 DSCN0214 DSCN0212 DSCN0213 DSCN0211 DSCN0210 DSCN0209 DSCN0208 DSCN0207 DSCN0206 DSCN0205 DSCN0204 DSCN0203 DSCN0202 DSCN0201 DSCN0199 DSCN0198 DSCN0197

Then it was time to go buy a bottle of wine and help with this week's World Corruption Index dinner. It's Nigeria. Next week: Haiti!

I will return Monday with thoughtful scientific content. May your weekends be filled with relaxing, and maybe with less rain than we're having.