Tuesday, May 02, 2023

Steam Mops, By Request

 As requested by various parties...

I hate mopping and never do it. The dirty water!  The mess! The bucket! 

In December I bought a cheap Shark steam mop with XL tank,, and some off brand replacement pads. I think the total was $50. 

We have mostly tile and wood; I steam mop it all. I probably use the steam mop at least once a week.  It gets the floors cleaner than me never mopping! It is definitely ~ 70% as good as the bucket mopping I never do BUT I will use the steam mop all the time and the regular mop every 3 years. (I like to dampen the pad and spray a little cleaner on the floor for best effects.) I throw the pads in the washer. Sometimes I use 2 or 3. It has gotten up mud, sticky things on the kitchen floor, and mystery substances the kids tracked in.  The pads get a bit stained but I suppose I could bleach them if I cared.

This particular cheap mop seems fine; it heats up in less than a minute, is lightweight,  has a big tank, and doesn't leak. A+, would buy again. Definitely has increased the cleanliness of my floors in a convenient and usable fashion.  

3 comments:

  1. I am super interested in this!! Are you noticing any areas of concerns with the wood floors? I have wood (not laminate) and tile and I'm always so nervous about water on on the wood for any length of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny F Scientist5:26 PM

      Honestly it seems fine. I mop them pretty fast and there's very little water involved, just a brief dampness and it dries very fast since it's hot. There's no standing water- more like a brief swipe with a damp steamy washcloth. We did refinish the floors ~8 years ago so I know they're well sealed! Also, seriously, so much sticky mystery stuff. Because kids.

      Delete
  2. I had the same worry about the wood as Meridith, so thanks for sharing! I never mop either, similar reasons plus energy, and I hate that they get so dirty but ... !!

    I am a little concerned about how well sealed the floors are though. That may delay my mopping even longer.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated, so it may take a day or two to show up. Anonymous comments will be deleted.