Monday, March 25, 2024

Some Books

These Deadly Prophecies: teen sorcerer has to figure out the mystery of her mentor's death.  Fun,  well written,  not scary.  Recommend. 

Vaster Wilds: book club book which manages to be both grim and wholly unrealistic,  as if the author had never set foot in a woods.  Hated every page,  0/10, definitely not for me. 

Three Kinds of Lucky: new series from Kim Harrison, great premise,  but has such bad Famous Author Syndrome that I started checking halfway through if it was going to be over soon.  Would be amazing at half the length; I abandoned ship near the dramatic ending due to not caring about any of the main characters any more.

Dreaming Spies: I read this during the early pandemic and, like,  didn't form memories due to the everything.  Good, but not as good as the first ones in the series.  I feel they get increasingly unlikely.  Emperors and Cole Porter, really? 

Emily Wilde's Map of the Otherlands: A delightfully strange fantasy novel with wonderful characters,  second in a series. Liked it even better than the first.  

The Blighted Stars: decent story which would have been better without the mild romance shoehorned in.  Sci fi with alien fungus.  

The Unspoken Name: weird and interesting portal fantasy, with liberally borrowed elements out of many world folklore. Recommend. 

Bookshops and Bonedust: okay,  but much less charming than the first one.  Would borrow from library,  but not buy.  

Starter Villain: unserious popcorn.  I enjoyed it.  There are cats. 

5 comments:

  1. I co-sign your reviews of Dreaming Spies (just wait to see how much more unlikely the next one is!) and Bookshops and Bonedust (which I enjoyed but didn't delight in). I'll have to find The Unspoken Name and These Deadly Prophecies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny F Scientist10:28 AM

      Since I drafted this I read the next two and there is a serious WTH element for sure. The pirate one was the worst imo.

      Delete
  2. Good to know about the second Emily Wilde book. I enjoyed the first one and need to look up the second. Scalzi writes some enjoyable popcorn books. Nothing earth shattering, but a fun romp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny F Scientist10:27 AM

      I enjoy popcorn too! Checked Starter Villain out for my kids to read; they found it entertaining as well.

      Delete
  3. Finally got a chance to add some of these to my library list!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated, so it may take a day or two to show up. Anonymous comments will be deleted.