Saturday, September 16, 2023

Books Lately

 Forgive me if I repeat myself. 


Everything Victoria Goddard has ever written.  Friends,  I enjoyed these so much that I bought several- a rare occurrence here. I read the Greenwing and Dart series first and was then a bit confused by the Emperor series when I started reading them but it was still worth it. 

Charlotte English: Malykant Mysteries and some other series I don't remember the name of. Fine but library borrowing quality. 

The Rise and Fall of DODO (Neal Stephenson and someone). Also a library read; highly reminiscent of Connie Willis's time travel, but with more military and explosions. I like it. I keep thinking I've read it before though I have not.  

Scarlet (Cogman): a delightful take on the Scarlet Pimpernel,  with vampires (but not too dark, bloody,  or violent). I hope the series continues. 

Ilario series by Mary Gentle: somewhat disturbing historical about an artist turned... something.  Would borrow from the library again.

The Black Opera (Mary Gentle): a really novel and absorbing idea. Could have been 20% shorter but it was very good anyways.

Mrs Quent series: really liked the first one,  kind of liked the second one,  stalled out a third of the way through the third one, will see if I pick it back up later.

Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow (Zevin): read for book club but surprisingly liked it anyways, though possibly not quite enough to read otherwise. An interesting and mostly well developed premise. Ends in a deeply unsatisfying way.

High Times at the Low Parliament: Bored, DNF. Too pleased with itself for being So Clever.  If you liked Hench you might like this. I did NOT like Hench. 

Thief Liar Lady: okay but not great.

To Have and to Heist: entertaining.  

The whole Scholomance series: I have literally read these twenty times each. I love them too much to even talk to other people about it. If you don't love them that is fine,  I will read them for you. 

Tanya Huff's Blood Lines series: Reread.  I'd forgotten how rich and interesting these are (a rare exception to my No Vampires rule). Also if you've never read the Enchantment Emporium series those are another favorite of mine. 

The Benevolent Society of Ill-Mannered Ladies: best debut novel I've read in years.  Utterly charming.  I hope the author writes five more. I don't care if I've told you about this before.  

Witch King: I liked it about as much as Wells' other fantasy novels,  which was very little. 

Thornhedge: another weird and wonderful Ursula Vernon work.  Would read again. Just expect it to be weird.



2 comments:

  1. Thank you for more recommendations! I exhausted the works of one author and had feelings. Now I can stay up too late reading a whole host of other books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny F Scientist7:32 PM

      Here to serve! 99% of what I read at bedtime is mystery novels I've read before so that I don't stay up too late. The other 1% of the time I finish at 3 AM and am full of regret.

      Delete

Comments are moderated, so it may take a day or two to show up. Anonymous comments will be deleted.