Thursday, May 25, 2023

Books I Did And Didn't Enjoy Lately

 The Twyford Code. The author has perhaps only had one idea, but this one is really well executed and frankly surprising.  Mystery but not violent or distressing. I won't say any more because it would spoil the story. 

When Women Were Dragons. This was excellently written but was so depressing to me that I abandoned ship part way through.  Premise: rage drives women to turn into dragons, but nobody talks about it. 

A Taste of Gold and Iron: delightful fantasy with a bit of mystery and romance. I can't wait for the next one.

Babel: excellent but I also didn't finish it. The depiction of an outsider yearning for the knowledge and status in a university cut a little close.

A Memory Called Empire: can't recommend enough.  Sci-fi-ish but just an amazing mystery and adventure. 

Mimicking of Known Successes: hated it and read 20 pages. Read like the author had been hit over the head with a thesaurus, but was not clever enough to make it work.

8 comments:

  1. Have added to my library holds! (Just the good ones)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny F Scientist8:55 PM

      I need some kind of review indicator that's like "does the dog die" but instead it's "is this a searing indictment of patriarchy and/or academia" because I just can't read those.

      Delete
    2. I'm ok with the patriarchy ones so long as all the bad guys die in a crushing battle at the end and everyone from the forces of good survives. Wish fulfillment...

      Delete
  2. I want to read these, but my library has a 22 week wait on some. I may be forced to purchase a couple. Oh, darn.

    I've been making my way through everything Grace Burrows has written and pre-mourning the time when I run out of books. I did buy a 7-book series for my upcoming vacation. It might be enough, we should be busy driving/hiking/playing board games etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny F Scientist8:52 PM

      Have you considered getting MORE library cards? The new app thingy will show you books at all the libraries where you have cards! I now have six!

      Delete
    2. Clever! Basically all the libraries within driving distance are part of the same system. Very handy when you request a physical copy of something, less advantageous when you compete with potentially 400,000 people for the same ebooks.

      Delete
    3. Jenny F Scientist7:29 PM

      I'm just saying if you search free library card -state- you will find a lot of cards you could sign up for ;)

      Delete
    4. Seconding this-- I have a library card for my town where I check out paper books and an electronic library card for a big city in my state that gives free cards to anyone who lives in the state. They have a lot more ebooks and multiple copies of what they have.

      Delete

Comments are moderated, so it may take a day or two to show up. Anonymous comments will be deleted.