I'm sure there is overlap between all groups of unpleasant tourists. And by no means are all tourists unpleasant! Some understand that each place has its own rich cultural and legal history, and that perhaps its inhabitants will get pissy if they criticize every single damn thing. In other words: It's rude to insult people when you are a guest in their home.
Well, friends, I introduce to you The Ugly Israeli. (Several of them were introduced to me last month!) Who:
- Thinks that all persons not living in cities are ignorant hippie throwback kibbutzniks.
- Thinks they are therefore qualified to reeducate such people. For example: "You really need to go to a gym to exercise. That [cutting up a 50 foot tree] work won't keep you healthy."
- Has no conception of the fact that they live in a country the size of New Jersey.
- With the population of NOVA.
- And therefore there's a hell of a lot of country to deal with.
- Thinks spending a week on the east coast has taught them all about Americans, and makes sweeping and inaccurate generalizations every two minutes. "Americans don't have charcoal grills! Americans don't cook! Americans don't drink tea! Americans....." Really? REALLY?
- Must be continually be reminded that driving through three medium sized states is the distance from Tel Aviv to FUCKING BAGHDAD. And there are fifty states.
- Has a national memory that is 65 years long. Has no concept of legal frameworks arising over 250 years and thinks all your laws and customs are stupid.
- Related: suggests you 'just change the Constitution'. IF ONLY WE HAD THOUGHT OF THAT.
- Endlessly harps on American racism.
- Argues incessantly.
- Doesn't know how to stand in line.
- Actually literally insults you in your actual literal home.
* True story. I saw it with my own eyes.
** Ditto. I even tried to keep a straight face.