Sunday, March 15, 2009

In Which All's Well That Ends Well (At Work)

(No baby yet. Still whomping about happily inside, though.)

Last week at work my boss came by my office. "Um... your part-time work request was denied," said my boss.

"Really," I said.

You see, my plan was: have baby, stay home 12 weeks, work part-time 12 weeks. When I took my new job, it was with that understanding. (Did I get it in writing? No. So the moral of the story is, don't trust companies to not be stupid: get it in writing.)

Anyhow, not okay. I was mad. I was prepared to meet with people until someone said yes, or until there was nobody left to tell me no. I was prepared to raise hell. Then I was going to quit.

I met with several people who've been there a bit, and managed not to cry on them. "I'm really angry," I said, "and I know it was stupid not to get it in writing but I didn't think the company would be this stupid either."

I met with my boss. "I'm sorry," said my boss, "but it seems that's their standard policy." "It's not written in the policy book," I said. "I'm sure you can understand that from my point of view, this was the condition on which I accepted employment, and this situation is not acceptable." "Um," said my boss.

I met with my boss and my boss's boss. "HR seems very firm about this decision; they think it's important to learn as much as possible about bicycle repair in the first few months, and I don't think it's going to happen," said my boss's boss. "Thank you," I said. "I'll have a little chat with HR." "Um," said my boss's boss.

I set up a meeting with my boss, the person in HR, and that person's boss. And then my boss came by again. "Your part-time work.... is approved. Since, er, nobody can seem to remember who said what (I do, I thought!) and it seemed like you might consider leaving... we decided it was best."

"THANK you," I said. And the official form arrived the next day.

Proving that:

1) Working with smart people is great. I didn't have to threaten anyone! I didn't raise my voice once. The meanest thing I said was 'I find this unacceptable.'
2) If you really want something, and are stubborn as a pig, it's amazing what will happen.
3) I am, clearly, stubborner than a pig.