Friday, March 21, 2008

Marriage Quiz, BONUS!

Your nut of an advisor (see below), recently returned from sabbatical, has a Bright Idea. It is the exact same thing that your spouse (in City A) is working on. To the letter. What do you say?
  1. Sounds like a great idea! I'll do it!!!
  2. Well, I happen to know that [Other, Bigger, More Famous Lab] is already working on it and I don't think we want to be in direct competition with them.
  3. It is a bright idea; in fact, my spouse is already doing it. So I don't think it's a good idea for us. And I wouldn't be able to work on it.
  4. Are you OUT of your MIND?

Extra credit:


(5 points) You are the postdoc in City A. Your spouse signs up for the above with nary a word of protest, and then calls to cheerily tell you about it. What do you say?

(5 points) Estimate the chances that Nut of Advisor came up with this idea completely independently and it's all just a terribly unfortunate coincidence.