Friday, September 18, 2020

Five Minute Blogging: Things Are Not Great

 I left my three children all crying over their online schoolwork this morning and went to work.  I'm so anxious it's waking me up out of a sound sleep.  I would see a therapist, but honestly, what are they going to say?  Things aren't so bad, put it in perspective?  It won't get worse before it gets better?  Just accept how terrible everything is?  Don't worry, the government has it under control?  The vaccine will be safe and effective?  The November election is gonna go fine?  (I think some nice drugs would help, but there are literally three psych doctors in this town and two of them are AWFUL.)  So I don't know what I'm going to do but something has to change.

The college (my employer!) is on track for a huge outbreak, which will also force public schools to stay closed longer (currently they claim they will open in, like, November, when clearly things will be better.... oh, wait, I'm hearing from my friend Basic Arithmetic that this cannot possibly be true).

I am trying to decide when I pull my kids out of public school and try to homeschool while working full-time. 

I am trying to decide how I'm going to teach my classes online when my home doesn't have enough internet speed for all five of us to use it, and I can't bring any of the children to campus.

I am trying to decide how long my mother can, realistically, spend 2.5 days a week with us. 


6 comments:

  1. OMG. I'm right with you. Both kids sobbing about online school - for different reasons. Given our numbers, no real hope for in-person school anytime soon. There are no good options.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can't possibly go on for a whole year like this!

      Delete
  2. My six year old yesterday said “that’s enough school” and closed the google meet. I have no idea what will happen Monday. Our university (my employer) just decided to bring all the students the students back in 2 weeks, into the red zone they caused that shows no sign of abating. I can’t go on like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is such a disaster to everyone, and even more of a disaster for parents. I literally don't know what we're supposed to do. My university has had 1 case per 100 (HUNDRED!) over the last week. We're our own red zone.

      Delete
  3. C2 on Friday, "Finally, we're learning something new! Proportions! And there was a math crossword!" Then, a half hour later, crying because of an IXL assignment about proper nouns vs common nouns. Which, BTW, I never learned the parts of sentences so that was awesome. (We moved twice when I was about that age. IXL taught me yesterday that "she" is a pronoun. Stupid pronouns.)

    I'm pretty sure C1 is doing zero HW. Thank goodness he has an unnatural fondess for documentaries, books, and random science.

    Do what you need to do, is all I'm saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're thinking of subscribing to the Economist because if we leave it around Bug will for sure read it.

      It's almost like this is bad for our kids' mental health too!

      (My HS was heavily into sentence diagramming and also I studied French for... 11 years! Definitely here for all the parts of grammar.)

      Delete

Comments are moderated, so it may take a day or two to show up. Anonymous comments will be deleted.