Monday, January 09, 2017

The Wages of Disorganization are Woe

After a couple of frustrating weeks, I've finally convinced university IT to give me access to the drive where all the documents are stored for the class I'm teaching in (checks watch) eight days. 

There are over three hundred documents and not ONE of them is an accurate schedule.  There are activities and presentations and lab files - most of which I'm supposed to post for the students - but nowhere does it say what the hell I'm supposed to do on which day.  Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but this is a course with eight sections where everyone takes the same test.

The course coordinator is out of town for the next seven days.

WHYYYYY.  I have regrets already and I didn't even start.  I don't know what the hell I'm supposed to be doing other than show up the first day and start talking.  I don't know if I'm supposed to print stuff out, who preps the labs... pretty much anything. 

This is going to be epically something.

6 comments:

  1. Ack! As Cathy would say. At least the first day of general chem lab is usually safety training?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is for the OTHER department! Chemistry has already sent me a lab book and a schedule and we have arranged someone to cover me on Week 2 when I have to go out of town to a medical appointment!

      Delete
  2. Socal dendrite5:57 PM

    Yikes, and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:47 PM

    "This is going to be epically something."

    Please know it is with all sympathy and academic fellowship and good will that I say, I've got popcorn ready and am looking forward to the train wreck. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a true delight being in a train wreck while someone else is driving, I tell you what. My syllabus literally only has what chapter goes with what week on it. THAT'S ALL I HAVE. People. (To add to the joy, my spouse is now teaching a lab course 100% outside his expertise due to a family tragedy in his department. The semester has already started. It will be basically on fire all term.)

      Delete

Comments are moderated, so it may take a day or two to show up. Anonymous comments will be deleted.