Friday, April 11, 2014

Pro Tip:

Space OUT major projects, events, and un-reschedulable-stuff.*  For example, it was not the best idea ever to a) sign a house-buying contract during finals week; b) then have to schedule inspections immediately thereafter; all of this c) the day before one's spouse receives 40 finals to grade by d) MONDAY, which is e) the first night of Pesach**, for which f) one's 80-year-old grandmother is flying in from California.  

It reminds me of once in college, when a former student, back from grad school, gave a talk.  I remember nothing he (or possibly she) said except "Don't have your thesis defense and a baby in the same month.  Just don't."

* You'd think I'd know this by now, eh?
** A holiday for which one traditionally cleans crumbs out of ALL THE THINGS, especially (ahem) my car, in which many a goldfish cracker has died, and my counter, where the flour lives, and my fridge, because I empty-and-clean it only twice a year.  And this is one of them.

6 comments:

  1. I remember that time I bought a condo, got married, moved to a new city, went on a honeymoon, and started graduate school within the space of 30 days.

    I agree, spacing out the major changes is a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaaack. Well! On the bright side, you're still married! To the same person, even.

      Delete
  2. "Don't have your thesis defense and a baby in the same month. Just don't."

    I don't know -- there can be a real benefit to having all of the stressful things happen at once so that the recovery from the pool of stress to begin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I defended at 36 weeks pregnant I basically DID have a thesis defense and a baby in the same month and it kind of sucked. :) So, you know, either way...

      Delete
  3. Oh lady. Sometimes life doesn't let you do what's most logical, huh? Hope you survive. (Though, uh, when I've got 40 finals to grade next week I will not expect any special treatment, so ...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All except for the part where I didn't realize the inspection had to be by FRIDAY THIS FRIDAY LIKE IN TWO DAYS.

      I hope your grading is less insanity-inducing than my spouse's.

      Delete

Comments are moderated, so it may take a day or two to show up. Anonymous comments will be deleted.