Thursday, January 03, 2013

FMB: Superstitious

My father's family have a lot of traditions which they observe - dare I say it - religiously.  (They're all atheists.)  His mother was a Scotch-Irish Presbyterian who married a French Catholic Alsacien farmer and between them I think they must have been more superstitious than a whole barn full of ghosts.

On New Years, we all eat something green for prosperity, black-eyed peas for luck, and (the not-Jewish relatives) pork for plenty.

Whenever someone gets a knife, they have to pay for it (usually a penny) or else the gift will cut.  I confess that I do this every time, from some kind of strange deeply-ingrained habit more than belief.  But still, I can't bear to be given a knife unless I pay.

I'm sure there are many other I can't think of right now.  

And of course then there's the traditional Jewish superstitions, my favorite being amulets against demons. 

Yeesh, my people are WEIRD.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated, so it may take a day or two to show up. Anonymous comments will be deleted.