Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Patient Education

Nurse: There's a med student here today.  Is it okay if she comes and talks to you [during your well-child visit]?
Me: Sure.

Med Student: And how many ounces of milk does your baby eat each day?
Me:  On demand. Breastfed babies eat when they're hungry and stop when they're done, and I'm pretty sure the thigh rolls indicate he's getting enough to eat.  [He weighs almost 18 pounds.]
Med Student: He looks very healthy.
 
[Slightly later]

Med Student: Do you have any concerns?
Me: He has a rash, and it looks like it might be candida, and I'm almost out of nystatin, which is the only thing that has made it better.
Med Student: Do you want some more nystatin?
Me: ... no, I want someone to look at it and tell me if it's candida or not.
Med Student:  Oh.

(Our regular doctor came in, afterwards; I figured two well-child exams would make good training for the med student, but I didn't know I would be the trainer.)

2 comments:

  1. Sigh. I sometimes have the impression doctors take me too seriously because I have a PhD. So, clearly, I must already know the "solution" and they just write a prescription.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right??? Sometimes I have a hypothesis but I do need a doctor to tell me if it's correct. I mean, I can diagnose lab problems pretty well, but rashes? Not so much. I'm just reporting the results!

      Delete

Comments are moderated, so it may take a day or two to show up. Anonymous comments will be deleted.