Tuesday, February 01, 2011

This Formerly Pregnant Human Took Drugs

... while pregnant (but only legal ones, of course).

Here is what I, personally, considered to be safe in pregnancy and breastfeeding:

Coffee, wine, beer*, two kinds of antidepressants, claritin, benadryl, two asthma inhalers, sudafed, tylenol, ibuprofen**, commercial soft goat cheese, the very occasional sushi from somewhere that had never ever in five years made me sick, bicycling, snowshoeing, flying at 8 months, skipping that stupid useless first-trimester screening, skipping that stupid GTT because I was all the low-risk categories but "under 25", giving birth at a freestanding birth center, getting a flu shot.... surely I'm forgetting something, but, er, I forget.

Here is what I did not consider to be safe:

A long list of fishes from a long list of local bodies of water, fish ever from the Great Lakes, eating at really seedy restaurants, smoking (I've never smoked anything, in fact), rollerblading whilst watermelon-shaped, and NOT vaccinating my child.


*None of these in the first trimester, but only because I was so nauseous that they made me throw up. Seriously. I would sit at the table every morning and stare mournfully at a cup of herbal tea, unable to even sip it.

**Not, of course, in the third trimester.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:21 PM

    It bothers me that some people seem to make a hobby of "let's tell pregnant women what they can't do!" So frustrating and weird. I say most things in moderation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously. i just saw that the mayo clinic guide (which i find useful but am happy not to rely on completely) says to avoid all caffeine JUST IN CASE. no, they don't give a reason -- don't you care about the BAYBEE? why do you need reasons?

    (my body has the last laugh, though, since coffee, tea for more than a few days running, and more than a few sips of beer or wine makes me feel awful. but you can have my coca-cola when you pry it form my cold, dead hands.)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated, so it may take a day or two to show up. Anonymous comments will be deleted.