Thursday, December 02, 2010

Students, Read And Learn

Pursuant to a bazillion other blog posts about student emails that begin, "Dear Mrs. Professor, I would like you to give me a pony and a spot in your lab":

I just received a polite, appropriate email from a student at my former college!!

Admittedly, Student's questions were a bit vague, but beginning "Dear Dr. Scientist" and continuing with specific requests such as "I am applying for Bicycle Manager at Bicycles R Us in Cold City", "I would appreciate any advice you might have about their interview process" and "If you have the time, I would like to hear about your experiences there" is much more effective.

I suggested that Student formulate a more specific list about the company and call me next week, told him three things that would be good to emphasize in the interview, and summarized the noncompete agreement. Virtue rewarded.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated, so it may take a day or two to show up. Anonymous comments will be deleted.