Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Catch More Flies

Mrs. Scientist-In-Law is a woman who appreciates holidays. In particular, she appreciates Mothers' Day. This year I thought it would be nice to send some flowers. The internet and I got together and had them delivered to her school (she's a teacher). The internet emailed me to say they'd been delivered.

She never got them.

I was a little upset. Maybe more than a little. I took a deep breath and called the school, where I explained to a very nice executive-secretary type the whole situation, and asked if it was possible to figure out what had happened to the flowers and how as they were for my mother-in-law and oh my goodness. She said she'd look into it.

Today I got an email that the custodian took them to the horticulture department by mistake, and they were so, so sorry, and would I tell them how the flowers had looked so the horticulture dept. could make a new one for my mother-in-law? Which they would take to her classroom this week? And they were very sorry. And they did: a huge, lovely bouquet of lilies.

Thus proving that a Southern upbringing is good for something after all.