Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Off To See The Wizard

I am headed for points south. After that I will be at the Annual Society of Condo Builders meeting (also known as the Society of Architects, Roofers, Thatchers, Masons, Bricklayers, Electricians, Plumbers, Sheetrockers, Painters, and Allied Building Trades) in the City of Cherry Blossoms. If you will be there, drop me a line, and perhaps we can meet up.

Gem from my advisor today:

Me: Okay, bye, see you in December.
A: What?? I didn't realize you'd be gone until the meeting.
Me: No, I didn't want to come back Wednesday and leave two days later for the meeting.
A: Uh, okay.

[A little later, he walks up to me]

A: Your poster looks good. So I was thinking maybe you could start writing your thesis. While you're away.
Me: [Thinking: What part of 'VACATION' don't you get?] ...I already did. I have an outline and everything.
A: Oh.

So, on the bright side, at least a) he thinks I should be doing the thing I already realized I should be doing and b) I'm getting a lot of practice, when I hear a lame suggestion presented as if I'm brain-dead and never would have thought it up, in not taking it personally.