Monday, November 27, 2006

It would have been a better trip back

without the state trooper blocking the left lane, next to two fellows standing on the very narrow divider with all their bags, leaving one lane and five hundred tired drivers backed up for miles. Why were they not on the shoulder? A mystery. Also, without the goose. Oh, look, honey, isn't it pretty? I've never seen one fly so low. What is it- oh my- THUMP. Splatter. Cloud of feathers. Happily, the tanker behind us following far too closely only came very very close to hitting us. And now I know one thing SUVs are good for: the one that hit the bird wasn't even dented.

Mom and Dad were hilarious as always. Dad gave us a sharpening steel and Mom made me an apron. The company, in the person of an uncle and two cousins, was excellent. Dad and the uncle ran around in boxing attire, drank a lot of whiskey, and jumped into the hot tub giggling, with beers and cigars; there was competetive sweating in the sauna; we ate well and spoiled the dog (who weighs 106 pounds and thinks he's a lapdog. Do not let your Lab puppy sit on your lap). My favorite cousin (likely because she visits the most often) kept us well entertained with stories of her mostly-Hispanic students in Philly, and of the fellow she's dating (this is the cousin who Dramatically Came Out to all of us after Thanksgiving dinner last year, upon which we all looked at each other, shrugged, and said "We thought so. Who wants more pie?" So heck if I know what's going on. It didn't seem polite to ask.) He's an editor and a banjo player and apparently more fun than a barrel of monkeys, and they go to shows all the time, so she introduced me to a couple more bluegrass bands. Hurrah!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:11 PM

    I'm glad you're back! I missed reading your blog while you were gone. Sounds like you had a nice Thanksgiving. I'm lucky in that I enjoy my family too.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated, so it may take a day or two to show up. Anonymous comments will be deleted.